Sunday 11 November 2012

River Irfon Finally Came Good

Another untimely downpour on Friday brought the river levels back up and out of action for any fishing on Saturday but as often with these Welsh spate rivers they do drop extremely quickly without further rain.




By 1.30pm Sunday I was slipping into my chesties and piecing together my 10' #3 Greys Streamflex in anticipation of finding a few grayling on the lower River Irfon which had now dropped to a level that I would consider ideal for this time of year.



I found fish very quickly and although the temperatures had dropped over the weekend the grayling were well spread out and most of the likely spots I dropped my nymphs into produced a fish or two.





The river came good just in time for me to enjoy three hours of quality fishing and even the odd flurry of hatching olives bringing fish to the surface.

6 comments:

  1. Some good fish Mick. I had an hour or 2 on Saturday morning - quite the different picture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your a brave man Craig, don't think I would have ventured out on the Irfon Saturday without a wading staff and a spare set of clothes for when I fell in!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I actually fished the Wye, below Builth Bridge. Still wasnt easy going just needed to get on the water. Managed 3 Grayling from the very last pool I fished!
      Irfon this week hopefully

      Delete
  3. Hi Mick we have booked the groyllne? beat for saturday 1st dec. Any advice on nymph & bug patterns or any tips would be much appreciated, cheers Looking forward to a cold days fishing in this wonderful part of our country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fishing In Dubai i love these pictures. you caught really nice fishes. loved it.

    ReplyDelete